ATTENTION: New License Requirements for Transporting Liquid Products

Post 22 of 37

Do you transport liquids such as food syrups, milk, creams or other liquid food products? If so, you may need a Tank Vehicle endorsement on your CDL. During the summer of 2014, the definition of “tank vehicle” was revised to expand the number and type of vehicles hauling tanks for which drivers are required to carry a Tank Vehicle endorsement on their CDL. The new definition of “Tank Vehicle” reads in pertinent part “Tank Vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis…” 49 C.F.R. §383.5

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) explained this definition applies to, and the endorsement is required for, vehicles transporting bladder bags, intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) or any other tanks of the stated sizes containing liquid or gaseous material whether permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis. Empty IBCs and tanks manifested as either empty or as residue on a bill of lading do not fall within the definition and, thus, do not require the endorsement.

Law enforcement is aware of the breadth of this rule and will be enforcing it accordingly, so be sure you are in compliance. The requirements for a driver to obtain a Tank Vehicle endorsement can be found in 49 C.F.R. §383.119.

By Brittany Newell

Brittany Newell Headshot

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,